BBS Costume

BBS Costume
Photo from Bubbling Brown Sugar 1976

Friday, October 29, 2010

Then Cab said to me

As I mentioned, I asked Cab., if he really knew the Smokey, that he talks about in his song. He was sitting in front of his mirror at his dressing room table, he slowly turned to look at me with a sinister, smug smile . He knew I asked because my name was Smokey too.  ,  He looked at me as if he recognized in me, some familiar attribute that me, and the Smokey, he knew shared. Then he looked me up an down, and said, " yeah I knew that motha f......I whooped his ass...and I'll whoop  your asss too, as he slowly got up out of his chair. Now c'mon....c'mon ...."   with his dukes up in a boxing stance. You think you bad don't you ?  Yeah he thought he was bad too....c'mon.   I,  as I began laughing,   . said naw...man...you got the best hand . I threw my hands up in submission, and said..." I don't want no trouble" . I know what I'm gonna do though....I'mma tell Honi Coles to kick your ass...we both burst out laughing, and he said "shitttt...I'm the only one kickin ass....around here ....I said ,  ok..ok.. we'll see, we both laughed, then he said " yeah you think Lydia is "Minnie" don't you ...? I been watchin you   , since you almost dropped her...you ain't gon never get her now....he then burst out laughing  as the music for the second act began , and " the call to places for the top of act two", ,rang over the backstage intercom. He threw on his brim, gave me five,  and me, and the legendary ,Cab Calloway. tipped out the dressing room. We kicked the bobo from then  until our production of BBS closed.
Ronald Smokey Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment